Welcome to our Community!

If you want to take part in the discussions, sign in or apply for membership below!

• Diana_NVDiana_NV
    For a moment I thought I was seeing a reincarnation in person for race 4 at BHP June 23, 2012 when a brown filly wearing a white shadow roll and those unmistakenable green and pink silks came from last (way back) to roll past the field and place in her first out in a Maiden Special Weight at Hollywood Park. She was impressive in her debut, to say the least. Her name is Stanwyck. Owned by ... guess who? Trained by ... guess who? Ridden by Garrett Gomez (MS was riding another). She's by Set Them Free (Giacomo's dam) and Empire Maker. Look for more good things to come ... she's a NICE filly!
  • rachelrachel
    apparently she was born april 8th 2009. another april baby
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • shirleeshirlee
    That is great. With so many of the horses out for injuries, it is nice to have one to watch.
    Especially nice that she is owned by the Mosses and trained by John.
  • furrarifurrari
    Deja Vu -Any pictures of her??
  • carolinarkansascarolinarkansas
    Her name is Stanwyck...I think
  • rachelrachel
    I just looked the race up. She sure does look like zenyatta and ran like her too
  • PerkyGreenPerkyGreen
    I just saw the recap of that race.It was in a sense Deja Vu she does resemble our very large Queen and she can run a lick too will be worth watching, but no horse will ever take the place of our beloved Queen.

• Diana_NVDiana_NV
    I just started the discussion so you could put Stanwyck on your radar screens. She's not Zenyatta, but she's a very nice filly and I thought I was seeing something from the past when I was there watching that race in person. Watch for her in the future!!
  • shirleeshirlee
    No filly or colt will ever be as great as Zenyatta, but it is fun to have another "up and comer" to watch. Stanwyck sure ran a heck of a race. Think next time she will be a winner. Her pedigree is nice.
  • Abigail_1849Abigail_1849
    Here's a (small) head shot of Stanwyck and her pedigree:
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/stanwyck
  • raceonraceon
    She is a home-bred for the Moss' and her mother was named for a song by Sting.
  • shirleeshirlee
    Hope we see her again soon. With Union Rags out we need some good news.
  • MaxMax
    @Abigail. Thank you for the link. She is a lovely filly. Great name too.
  • KetaKeta
    Diana,
    Thanks so much for starting this Discussion.
    Would have missed this filly.
    Here is some info from Horse Racing Nation

Trainer John Shirreffs was thrilled with the debut second of Stanwyck, a half-sister to Kentucky Derby winner Giacomo and Grade I winner Tiago. The Empire Maker filly was 16 lengths back at the half mile and was beaten less than five lengths by Distracting.
    Posted by mdracing69 · 19 days ago ·

Keta
  • KetaKeta
    Here is the race replay from The Blood Horse
    Must see!!
    Jun 23, 2012 ... Distracting Distorted Humor - Teeming; Stanwyck Empire Maker - Set Them Free; Dime Piece Tapit - Skip Queen. View Race Detail. Displaying ...

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/videos/race-replays/USA/BHP/2012/6/23/4/race-4
  • KetaKeta
    Hollywood Notebook
    Saturday (6/23)
    4TH -- STANWYCK rallied from last to be a strong second in the late stages of what we thought could be a very solid field. The John Shirreffs trainee showed no early speed but was clearly second best behind what could turn out to be a fine winner. This one should also improve with more ground to work with.
    Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/70821/hollywood-notebook#ixzz20wW0nxx5
  • Celeste_in_TXCeleste_in_TX
    Added her to my VS after that race, so I hope she stays happy and healthy. She is another beauty!
  • janstein87janstein87
    She is another gorgeous filly. Wonder if the Moss's named her after Barbara Stanwyck.
  • KetaKeta
    Janstein87
    Name came from a song by Sting.
    Keta
  • caseycasey
    well if all goes well, and I DON'T get called for jury duty, I will be seeing her on Weds at Del Mar. Everyone keep your fingers crossed that I don't have to appear for jury duty. I just want to go take pics!!!!
  • Celeste_in_TXCeleste_in_TX
    It finally dawned on me why her dam's name, Set Them Free, seemed so familiar and when I followed Abigail's link to her pedigree query page and asked for the progeny report, well... duh, Tiago and Giacomo are her big (half) brothers. Hope you do get to visit at Del Mar, Casey, that would be so fun. Take pics if you can!